Monday, January 31, 2011

Foo Friday

My day started off as any normal day off would. Get up, work out, run errands.....who knew by day's end I'd get to see my favorite band all together for the first time in two and a half years?!?!?!


Dave Grohl, who once bashed Twitter by suggesting people get a life, get out and actually accomplish something, has been using the social networking site to promote the new album from beginning to end. He doesn't Tweet constantly, like some celebrities, but would post sporadic pictures of the band or studio progress. As a fan, it's been a neat way to at least have some sort of contact. Since the album wrapped in December, the Foo Twitter page has been fairly quiet as of late. In the past, Foo has been known to do one or two small shows to test-run material from the new albums. Right before Christmas they played a small show at Palladino's in Northridge (right by their studio). I was very disappointed that it hadn't been several weeks later once I was in L.A.!


Several times throughout the week the band tweeted that they were practicing and getting ready for something. Friday afternoon the Tweets really took off. Dave sent several pictures which turned out to be clues regarding the show's location. 





He kept teasing with lines like "you guys ready?", "sure feels nice to be able to play the new album from front to back like a set list..."  and "hope we get a chance to do that soon..."  I was texting several friends I've made through the band anticipating an announcement of some sort, but I assumed it would be in regards to an official tour. I had set up twitter to send any new dave tweets as text messages (yes, im a dork) I was down Ventura shopping and had just made some plans to meet a friend for drinks later when I got the tweet at 5:29 P.M. (Foo Fighters w/ the Bronx...Velvet Jones in Santa Barbara...8 pm...$20) I had to read it thru several times before it really set in. I was SO EXCITED!!  I raced home to throw on a different top and shoes and took off. The 101-N was at a standstill so GPS took me a different route. 45 minutes later I was halfway there and got another tweet (Maaan you guys are quick. no mas people can fit into Velvet Jones tonight. sorry, sold out)

At this point I had to make the decision whether to go on and test my luck or turn around. After being so excited I decided I had to see what I could get to work out. After the adrenaline rush I had just been on, it would be a huge disappointment to not see them (however I prepared myself that I may very well not get to...just in case something didn't work out). I really hated to pull strings and call my friend the drum tech, but was slightly panicked and thought it wouldn't hurt asking. He said it was going to be a bad show (horrible acoustics) and that the crew wasn't happy about it....he'd try but couldn't guarantee anything.

Some fellow Foo fans I knew had gotten there, heard it was sold out and gone to get food. Backup plan was to meet up with them and wait around for the guys after the show...I was definitely determined though.  parked and walked up. Thirty people had lined up in hopes of getting in. Luckily, a crew friend remembered me from the hotel in Chicago after TCV in May....he said he'd see what he could do and to just chill out front for a few.

Security was making everyone form a line down the side of the building, but I didnt want to be halfway down the block if he came back out. The guy in charge of guestlist asked my name, radioed  and went ahead and let me in. I didn't realize everyone else was getting wristbands and I had the After Show pass til I took a pic of it. 
I was amazed -- even though the show was "sold out" it was still seemingly really empty. I could walk right up front and center. 

It eventually did fill up.

The opening band was a punk band from Los Angeles named the Bronx. They were pretty good and will be appearing at Coachella this year.
Then Foo came out. I was directly in front of Dave. I've always been front row for their shows when I've had GA tickets, but have always seen them in an arena setting which means having  a barricade and security between you and the edge of the stage. This time I was leaning against the monitor on the stage. They played straight through the entire new album which was great. It was a weird feeling seeing them and not knowing the songs (a lot like seeing TCV at Austin for the first time). The teaser clip they posted this week is the beginning of the first song on the new album. Obviously I still probably love the older stuff more, but it's what is familiar. The new stuff is very rocking but still melodic....cant wait to hear it more and get more familiar with it. They filmed last night for the documentary they're releasing with the new album so there were tons of cameras (and lots of little ones they'd clip on the ends of the guitars, etc) 








After playing straight through the new stuff, Dave talked here and there. They've been practicing at 606 in a small space, but it was Nate's idea to take the album out for some club gigs and really get the fans' response. The rest of the show was basically like the greatest hits (first 4 albums....nothing from In Your Honor or ESP&G except Pretender). 26 songs total. Some rarely played tunes included "Enough Space" and "Wattershed" which was incredible. Dave dedicated "Up in Arms" to his wife which was cute. They ended the regular show with Everlong, then came back out for the Pretender, I'll Stick Around, and This is a call to "finish the night with what started it all." ("This is a Call" was the first song on their first album in 1995....also their first single) I loved that line. Before he left the stage he said "See you next week" indicating I'd most likely be seeing them again very soon! (hopefully)

Granted the acoustics weren't great (my hearing was pretty wrecked) but to see them in that small of a venue, no barricade, no security, leaning against the monitor with Dave's guitar like a foot from you was pretty incredible (especially when I didn't know about the show til 530 then thought I wouldn't get in) Also not to be weird but it was close enough that for several songs I'd be singing along and would lock eyes with Dave for a few lines...which was pretty special.

Instead of asking for set lists/picks people started to grab them off the stage.  I was pretty stoked to have gotten in and gotten the pass  (although I caught a pick that was tossed out....I think it's from Nate or Pat but need to check.)

I decided to see where the pass would get me. Checked with several security guys who said for sure upstairs (private bar/balcony. got a drink up there, but I'm glad I was down front for the show) They thought backstage but wasn't positive. The main guard was stopping a lot of people saying backstage was for family only. I chilled out front for a bit. I talked to a couple of the crew guys I knew.

Other Foo fans bailed and headed back to LA. Since I couldn't easily get backstage I debated whether to hang out, go around back, or bounce. I decided to wander around back and see what was up.

The guys were loading up gear so I chilled for a bit. There was a guarded outdoor smoking area and then the backstage room. Even with approval the guard let me stay in the outdoor area, but not go inside. Nate was out there by himself so talked to him for a bit. Jesse and Rami were hanging out. I told him I had heard how amazing the album was and that it was nice to finally hear it in person and in its entirety. I also introduced myself and mentioned that I  just moved and missed the Paladino's show so was stoked for this. That's when he said that they're doing more of these club gigs so to get ready.

And that was that. What more could I ask for. Front row seeing Foo in a small and intimate venue. Meeting the boys. Meeting and reconnecting with the crew  which should prove helpful in the future.


I was very impressed with Santa Barbara. It seems very cute and I'd love to go up and spend more time during the day sometime; however, I was exhausted and had an hour and a half to drive home (didn't get back 'til 3:30 but was still riding the adrenaline high)  After these club gigs, I'll probably get spoiled and not even really need to see them on tour doing big arena shows. 


Tomorrow the madness might start again. As I've been typing this I got a few more Foo blasts:
"Thanks Santa Barbara. That was rad. Can't wait to do it again..."
"Now let's see.....who's next...."
"Hmmm....look sharp, ladies and gents...I feel another one coming on!"
"More to follow"


It's been fun to read the postboard trying to decipher the current hints. Some people for a while thought they might do a late night show tonight....but seeing that it's already midnight guesses are that they'll be one tomorrow. As far as getting dressy, people are supposing a nightclub somewhere in Hollywood. I couldn't have come to LA at a better time!  We'll see what tomorrow brings. Stay tuned for more Foo fun :-)






No comments:

Post a Comment