Saturday, February 12, 2011

Grammy Rehearsals @ Staples Center 2.11.2001

After having some car trouble, I dropped my Jeep off at the dealership and thought I'd find a spot for lunch in the area. Little did I know I would happen upon the Grammy rehearsals. About a mile north of the dealer was the L.A. Convention Center, Staples Center and L.A. Live.  L.A. Live is a plaza surrounded by a variety of bars/restaurants (Starbucks, ESPNZone, Wolfgang Puck, etc). I saw some dark SUVs and security around, but didn't realize musicians would actually be coming out. I came around the corner (apparently the "talent check-in") and almost ran right into Florence (of Florence & the Machines) who is nominated for Best New Artist.  There were a variety of gifting suites set up where various sponsors have bags assembled for celebrities (or those with the proper credentials).  In this plaza they sometimes have movie premieres. I sat outside at ESPNZone for lunch. My waiter said that he'd been people watching all day and had already seen Usher and Dr. Drew. He had his eye out for Lady Gaga and Eminem.  The trend I noticed was the more famous the celebrity, the larger the entourage.

After I ate I walked around. Walking down the side of the Staples Center I passed Weird Al Yankovic (my 8-year-old self would have been thrilled....he used to be my favorite!) There were about 10 guys stationed collecting autographs to sell. I didn't want to annoy anyone so I didn't get autographs or take pictures...just people watched. Over the afternoon I saw Jackson Browne, Robby Kreager (guitarist for the doors), Jon Lovitz (actor and ex-SNL member), Taylor Momsen, B.O.B., and Bobby Brown. Someone I met was looking for Katy Perry and said to follow him to the garage to see if her car had left. I don't think we were exactly supposed to be down there, but nobody stopped us. A Rolls Royce pulled up and Cee-Lo got out. He used to be in Gnarls Barkley and is nominated for five Grammys. Apparently this was the private entrance that some of the biggest performers were using for their rehearsals.  He was performing at Club Nokia (part of L.A. Live) later last night.

I had been debating trying to work my way in for a pass. I figured it was a long shot, but that I wouldn't know unless I asked.  I e-mailed my boss at work, but he didn't know who to go to. Several people at the main entrance questioned whether I wanted a day pass for rehearsals or for the actual awards show. One person seemed to think I could get one for rehearsals, but the person in charge of that said I had to be on the list, but to go to the credentials off in the convention center to try for one for Sunday evening.

I walked into the convention center where (unbeknownst to me) they were getting ready for a Musicares event honoring Barbra Streisand (other performers included Jeff Beck, Stevie Wonder and Barry Manilow). I entered and the only way to get on the escalator was to cross the red carpet. I acted like I knew what I was doing and cruised on in before being stopped by security. Once I told them where I was heading they let me cross the red carpet and continue up. There was a main ticketing area and then a media credentials room. I said I knew it was a long shot, but told them about my internship and figured it was worth a try. I got sent to the security table before being shut down. They said that I would have had to have gotten clearance before now (which I figured....but was worth a shot!) I'm hoping in the near future I'm in a position where I will be able to attend some of the parties and the awards show. It was really exciting to see all the festivities and was surprised I got as far as I did attempting to get in. The main stairway led outside so I figured I could walk right back down to exit (as any normal person would do). Once again I was followed by a security guard who told me I wasn't allowed to go down the "grand staircase" but had to go around and down the escalators to avoid the red carpet / media center. Whoops!


Last night an old friend from TLS/Sayre got back in town. He invited me to his favorite gastropub in Hollywood, the Bowery. It's located between several other restaurants - you would walk right past (which I did) unless you knew where to find it. We shared the sliders which were phenomenal (seasoned sirloin burgers with aioli and greens - yum!). Apparently it's won "Best Burger in L.A." from several different publications. It was a very comfortable and great place to grab a drink and some food. 





Coming soon...
-Sunset in Santa Monica
-Foo Fighters 2 / 3 / 4

1 comment:

  1. I love the image of you crossing the red carpet all the while acting as if you know what you're going!

    ReplyDelete